The aims of Fair Isle Bird Observatory shall be:
1. To record, study and encourage research into all aspects of the ecology of Fair Isle's birds, in particular their use of the island on migration and its breeding seabird population.
2. To record, study and encourage research into all aspects of Fair Isle's natural heritage and to work with the islanders to safeguard, enhance and promote this natural heritage.
3. To engage fully with the community and owners of Fair Isle to build a sustainable future for the island and its residents.
4. To provide suitable accommodation and safe environment for staff, guests, researchers, students and volunteers to enable them to work, study and enjoy the natural and cultural heritage of Fair Isle.
5. To provide a place for educational development and knowledge exchange for its staff, guests, researchers, students and in particular to develop programmes for volunteers and young people to allow all of them to contribute to the work of the Observatory.
6. To be involved in the public promotion, in all its aspects, regarding the work of the Observatory, the natural heritage of Fair Isle and its community.
7. To strive to become and remain a world-class accredited bird observatory that supports and develops its staff, researchers, students, volunteers, guests and directors to ensure a sustainable future for the Observatory.
8. To encourage guests, visitors and the wider public to become Friends of Fair Isle and thereby to support the work of the Observatory.